All CAMRA members are strongly encouraged to score their beer on each visit to a pub. These scores are used when selecting entries for the Good Beer Guide (GBG) and monitoring beer quality.
Our procedures for selecting pubs for inclusion in the Good Beer Guide can be found here.
To access the scoring system, please follow these steps.
- Go to the website called WHAT?UB and log in with your CAMRA membership number and password. If using your home computer, select “Remember me“, and you will be logged on automatically in future.
- Check the box to search for pubs and clubs that serve real ale.
- Searching for the pub can be done by entering the name of the village or town in which the pub is located or the pub name followed by the village or town name. If using a smartphone, use the “Pubs near me” button to find the pub automatically.
- A list of pubs will be offered, and it may occupy more than one page. Choose the pub by clicking on the pub name with the correct town/village after it.
- Under the heading “Submit Beer Scores“,
- Enter the date of your visit.
- Enter your score by selecting the arrow and choosing an appropriate score from the list. If using a smartphone, use the sliding scale to enter your score. Note that a zero score should only be awarded if the pub has no real ale available.
- In the “Brewery” window, start to enter the name of the brewery, and a list will automatically appear. Please use the list to select the correct name for the brewery.
- Clicking in the “Beer” window generates another arrow and a list of beers produced by that brewery. Please select the name of the beer. Should the beer not be listed, please type the name accurately into the box.
Please note that (c) and (d) are now optional.
You now have a choice.
Choose “Submit Score” or, better still, choose “Show advanced options” which will allow you to enter the price of the pint, including the decimal point and a brief comment on the beer quality.
If you have more beer scores for this pub, select “Add another score”, or if you have visited another pub, click on the New search button and go back to step 3.
Log out when finished.
A printer-friendly version of these instructions can be downloaded here.
Top Five Beer Scoring Outlets in Our Branch from 1 April to 27 August 2023*
|Outlet||Average Score||Number of Scores|
|Ship Inn, Drummore||4.03||19|
|J G Sharp’s||3.93||7|
|Black Bull Inn, Darvel||3.85||10|
|Kinloch Hotel, Blackwaterfoot||3.83||9|
*A minimum of six scores is required for qualification.